Thursday, June 28, 2012

All done our first school year

Yesterday Keeley finished kindergarten. I went to pick her up, it was a happy day. I swear the teachers couldn't throw those kids out of there fast enough-and the kids were more than happy to let them. I picked her up, she threw her report card at me, and ran as quickly as she could to play with the children she came to know so very well in the past ten months.

I felt HORRIBLE that I didn't cry her first day of school. I took a few pictures, chatted with other moms over how small all the kids looked with their big back packs, and there they went into school. Ready to face what that first day would bring.  I simply went home and on with my day.

But yesterday, once we were in the van, buckled in. I read her report card-how she'd improved over the year. I don't know if its the lack of sleep, the increasing heat of the summer.  I teared up.  It was embarassing.

It was exciting that first day. Yesterday-it hit home, she isn't a little preschooler starting her journey into a school career thats going to last over a decade. Yesterday she was well into that journey that was going to fly by for all of us. This is the part that really helps her personality show, change, develop. I teared up because I realized, when we are done with all the classes, weekends, teachers, and summer breaks. I'll have a woman-not a five almost six year old with nobby knees and a messy pony tail learning how to write her name and speak another language.

I'm not excited for her to start grade one in September. I'm excited-and nervous to meet her in 12 years. When shes done, and moving on. Shes not my first baby girl today-she my woman in the making. My daughter, I'm so very proud of and blessed to have her with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment