Thursday, January 10, 2013

Weaning Woes

I've been to work, and my schedule has been agreed on. Now its time to decide-do I keep breastfeeding, or wean him on to a bottle. Mr. Man will be 10 months old when I re-enter the work force.  10 months of breastfeeding is admirable. Not extended super long, but longer than the recommended six months by health Canada. I have options-and one heck of a great pump. I can very effectively pump and store on my breaks, 1 night, and 2 days a week. Its seems simple-go for it. whats 15 minutes of a double pump on a 30 minute break?

This is where this is tricky, I work with lots of teenagers and young adults. All of us slaves to the standard school schedule. They for their own classes-me for my young daughters school days. The whole thing is stressing me out and I haven't even started back to work. I need privacy. And a place to store. I doubt the supervisor on-a snappy come back kind of guy, would fully understand.

I'm shame filled when I admit this. I love nursing my son. But I'm tired of having my chest hanging out on a little mans whim. I want a pretty bra. not one that digs, and makes me look kind of sloppy and floppy. I want to pick an outfit without needing to worry about ease of nursing. I'm horribly sad to admit. I'm just not enjoying it any more. I think I'm done. But I don't want to be. Its been ingrained into my brain 12 MONTHS IS BEST. I don't know why I'm so hesitant to just wean. DD1 never nursed, and DD2 nursed for only 8 months.  Hubby is in agreement with me, no matter what I choose to do. Which makes it hard sometimes-having someone so supportive of you and your body.

So-what do I do?

2 comments:

  1. you my friend need to do what works - that is the definition of successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, you do what works. Breastfeeding does not have to be all or nothing. You can go with nursing when you're with him, bottle when you're not. Then you don't have to worry about spending your break pumping (I believe by law you MUST be provided with a private place to pump that's not a bathroom and somewhere to store your milk), you can buy pretty clothes and bras, and when you get home and put your comfy clothes on you can snuggle up with your boy and still nurse him.
    After this long, it'd be pretty hard to sabatoge an established milk supply. The last 6months my youngest nursed went from once or twice per day to once or twice per week. 18months after she weaned and I'm still not dried up.

    ReplyDelete